Friday, November 19, 2010

Convicted!


Today on my way to work I made my bi-weekly stop at the Bulk Barn to stock up on my favourite sugar/yeast/dairy-free treats. As I approached the door I noticed an older man with a huge cast on his leg struggling down the sidewalk on crutches. I waited until he got closer, asked if he too was set to "bulk up" and held the door for him. Having been a seasoned veteran of the hop-along club, I knew first-hand that doors are not your friend when you are restricted in this way. In hindsight it's only with shame I admit that I mentally patted myself on the back for being a thoughtful Christian to this strange man.
.
When we entered the store I noticed him looking skeptically at the carts and baskets. I recalled being in a similar dilemma and solving it by shopping with a shoulder bag or knapsack to carry my goods. This poor man had no such foresight. In a hurry to pick up my purchases and have enough time to stop at the bank before work, I continued on my merry way. It wasn't until I reached the checkout and began to pack my purchases into my own enviro-bag that I recalled this poor man and felt a reminding nudge. I glanced at the clock on my phone and as my eyes darted around the store I decided I didn't have time to find him to see if he needed assistance and left.
.
My mind quickly fled to other things when I got to work, confronted with stacks of inventory to receive, invoices to enter and new product to price and merchandise. However halfway through the night I recalled a recent conversation with a friend where he shared a now humorous story of being too adventurous in a wheel chair and being stuck 1/3 of the way down a steep hill and at the mercy of whatever person passing by had sympathy for his situation. I had been quick to say that had I passed by I would have helped him. My actions of the afternoon flooded me with feelings of guilt as I realized that in my selfishness I failed to spare 10 minutes to assist a man desperately in need of help with shopping. At the very least I could have given him a shoulder bag and a suggestion.
.
With tears in my eyes I find myself confronted by Matthew 25:42-45:

“For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.......Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."
.
For those of us who follow Christ, it's not good enough to spend 10 seconds holding a door and think we've done our good deed for the day. How are we to be salt and light if we are more worried about our agendas than those who are struggling right in front of us?
.
God, forgive me for today I saw one of your own in need and I failed him due to my own selfish agenda. And thank you for your abounding grace to forgive. Next time I know the bank can wait and work can be late.
.

"Behold the man upon the cross, my sin upon His shoulders. Ashamed I hear my mocking voice call out among the scoffers".





No comments:

Post a Comment