Friday, October 22, 2010

Friends are just desserts


When I was first saved I put a lot of emphasis on my church life. It became the source of my friends, my fulfillment and my musical outlet. It became the place I went to with my troubles and sorrows. It was where I found peace.
.
And these were all good things to find at a church, don't get me wrong. But when a horrible back injury kept me out of services for over 6 months I was left with a big vacant void that I was unable to fill. I pleaded with friends to visit and when certain ones didn't come through for me I felt completely lost and abandoned.
.
You see, I had made the tragic mistake of making church and the people in it "the main course" of my spiritual journey. A position that should be held by God and God alone. As we read in Philippians 4:19 "And my God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus" God is more than capable of supplying our material, financial and emotional needs.
.
I thank God daily for the awesome friends He has given me. But when push comes to shove and my whole world seems to be crashing down, when it seems like I'm being attacked on all sides, I know it is God who is the one who is going to come through for me. He will feed me and leave me satisfied. My friends can console me, distract me and encourage me, but in the end God is the main course and my friends are just amazing desserts!
.
This reality hit home for me when I first heard this awesome song by Steven Curtis Chapman - listen and be blessed! www.utube.com/watch?v=v2xghAYprUs

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you are blogging, Adrienne. You have already been used by the Holy Spirit to encourage me and remind me of some things. I have also learned over the past year or two that Jesus is the only One I can really depend on. And you know how friends just can't know or understand you as much as you might like? Well, there again, Jesus is so much better! He is such a Great Friend.

    ReplyDelete