Sunday, October 24, 2010

Walk like a goose!


I HATE being late. If something throws me off by just a few moments I become little-miss-lead-foot until such a time that I once again feel I'm running on time, or even better, a little early. And I gotta admit, all this construction around Guelph has been throwing me off and ruining my groove.
.
So imagine my surprise as I'm rounding a corner on Kortright - at, well, let's just say a few clicks faster than the posted speed limit trying to make up for the delay on Downey Road - when suddenly this huge goose is right in my path! I slam on the brakes with my heart in my throat, stopping just a foot away from my feathered friend. The arrogant bird had the nerve to just continue on his way, strutting across the road as if nothing had happened! He didn't even turn his extra-long neck in my direction to acknowledge the peril he almost put himself into. In disgust I continued on my way, resenting the arrogance of this silly bird.
.
But just around the next corner there lay a huge hunk of roadkill...I think it had once been a raccoon. EWW! Poor thing! But it got me to thinking about how raccoons and squirrels tend to cross the road as opposed to this silly goose. They dart and dash, racing back and forth, seeming to not make a conscious decision whatsoever, acting completely on an over-reactive impulse system that really makes NO sense whatsoever at the moment. No point in even trying to dodge their path, because they'll turn the other way in a split second, directly into your line of travel.
.
How would God rather us journey through life? The answer can be found in Philippians 3:12-13: Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
.
I dunno about you, but that sounds far more like our driven, motivated, straight moving goose than our dodging, dashing, unpredictable squirrel! So I've decided, I don't care if the world thinks I'm oblivious to peril or marching in a direction that makes no sense to them....my eyes are focused on the prize in Christ. I'm gonna walk like a goose to God!
.
This song always helps me to remember to press forward and keep my eye on the price - www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU4U8_wMdRs - listen and be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment